TEACHERS’ ADVANCED COURSE
Optional: Two credits through Seattle University Professional Development program EPDLA 900 for $59 per credit or 20 Washington State clock hours at $3 per clock hour. Credits earned may apply towards Washington State teacher certification and for advancement on the salary scale.
The Advanced Course is organized and presented in two parts:
- Demystification of reading research terminology
- Exploration of the history of the English language and how it affects spelling patterns
- Discussion of reading-related brain functioning
- Learn how linguistics and morphology predict spelling in multi-syllabic Latin based words
LATIN AND GREEK MORPHOLOGY
- Use adapted American Sign Language to learn the meanings of the most common Latin and Greek prefixes, roots, and suffixes
- Discover the unique “jobs” of prefixes, roots, and suffixes in Latin and Greek based words
- Learn to ‘Strip the Fix’ to break Latin and Greek based words into meaning chunks
- Discover strategies to glean the meaning of Latin & Greek prefixes, roots, and suffixes
- Use meaning to spell common but ‘confusable’ Latin suffixes
- Use meaning and word origin to make spelling choices
- Learn games and activities to practice, apply, and automate knowledge of prefixes, roots, and suffixes to promote transfer
This is a stand-alone class and can be taken without having taken any prior classes.
May 13-14 AND 20-21, 2022
WIRED FOR READING
ONLINE – LEAD INSTRUCTOR IS CATHERINE THOMPSON
- Dates: May 13-14 AND 20-21, 2022
- Format: 6 hours of asynchronous learning including approximately 4.5 hours of video and 40 pages of reading to complete before the first day of class. 14 hours of online Zoom instruction.
- Hours: Friday 3:45pm-6:15pm Pacific Time
Saturday 8:45am-2:30pm Pacific Time
Lunch break 12:15pm-1:00pm
There will also be a 15-minute break in the morning
- Reservation Deposit: $150 reserves place. (Non-refundable after deadline.)
- Tuition: $600
- Tuition Payment and Registration Deadline: April 29, 2022
- Late Fee: $55 will be assessed after the tuition deadline.
- Alum: $155 (Those that have completed this level course in the past are considered alums.)