WORD-WIRES ASSESSMENT WORKSHOP
Instructors: Elizabeth Sorby, Ed. S., M.Ed.
Elizabeth is an Educational Specialist who has been working with students with learning differences since 1994. Originally she trained and worked as a School Psychologist and School Counselor in a large public school district. After a few years she felt that she needed to learn more about how children learn to read, in order to better meet the needs of the students she worked with. She took her first literacy-focused class from Laura Rogan in Feb. 2001 and became fascinated in the subject of literacy learning and what can make it difficult. For the next few years Elizabeth took every class she could on the subject and began to specialize in children with language based learning disabilities. Shortly after that first class, Elizabeth went into private practice to do literacy assessments and intervention tutoring. She also spent five years working as an independent school administrator that designed a school wide customized learning program. She is currently back in private practice, doing assessment intervention, and consultations with schools and families about how to assess and support children with learning differences.
Designed to provide educators with a crash course in how to understand assessment reports as well as training in how to implement the Word-Wires and Wired For Reading criteria assessments.
The course will:
- Explain the different types of assessment (formative, summative, and diagnostic) and when you would use each type.
- Explain assessments used to diagnose dyslexia and related learning disabilities.
- Teach how to give and interpret the new Wired for Reading Spelling Inventory
- Demonstrate how to give and interpret the Wired For Reading and Word-Wires criteria assessments
- Explore how these assessments can be used to guide instruction and monitor students’ progress.
Participants MUST have completed another Wired for Reading or Word-Wires Course.
Wired for Reading Assessment Workshop
- Dates: May 17-18, 2019
- Time: Friday 4:30pm – 7:45pm and Saturday 8:15 am to 4:30pm
- Location: One Roof Clinic, 4915 25th Ave NE Suite 102W, Seattle, WA 98105
- Tuition: $150
- Deposit: $50 Reserves place (Non refundable after deadline.)
- Material Fees: $40 (This fee is waived for new participants if tuition is received by registration deadline.)
- Registration Deadline: February 15, 2019
- 1 Credit or 10 Clock Hours offered through Seattle University